WEEK 6 DISCUSSION
How can we effectively manage emotions at work?
A salesperson with intense passion can convince someone to make a purchase. On the other hand, an angry manager can prompt an unfair review (Lamia, 1). In this discussion, you find yourself in a workplace situation where you are a team leader. You are asked to help your team understand and manage their emotions at work. You mention your challenges to manage emotions among your team and your boss tells you to read an article about it.
- STEP 1: Read Lamia, Mary. December 31, 2010. Like it or not, emotions will drive the decisions you make today. https://www.psychologytoday.com/us/blog/intense-emotions-and-strong-feelings/201012/it-or-not-emotions-will-drive-the-decisions-you
- STEP 2: SCENARIO: Assume you are a team leader and your team is having an emotional response to an upcoming deadline. The deadline energizes and motivates some people and paralyzes others with anxiety and fear that they can’t meet the challenge.
- STEP 3: Respond to the discussion by sharing three things you can do as the manager to help your team MANAGE THEIR EMOTIONS and work together to meet the deadline.
- STEP 4: Use in-text citations for any ideas that you write about in your post that come from another source.
- STEP 5: Provide a source list with sources you used for this discussion
- Week 8 Discussion
What decisions can you make RIGHT NOW to achieve your career goals?
This week we are focused on decision-making! Going to college can be one of the most profound decisions that someone can make in their life. There are all kinds of reasons to earn a college degree, but most are trying to gain skills and knowledge to advance their career (College Stats, 1). For this discussion, think about what decisions you can make right now to advance your career.
- STEP 1: Read: Purcell, Maud. May 17, 2016. Demystifying decision-making. https://psychcentral.com/lib/demystifying-decision-making#1
- STEP 2: Before you begin to write your discussion post, take a moment to think about your decision to earn your college degree. What problem are you hoping to solve by earning your degree? What are some other things you can do in addition to earning your degree that can help you to also solve that problem?
- STEP 3: Respond to the discussion by:
- Share what problem you’re hoping to solve by earning your degree.
- In addition to earning your degree, identify THREE other approaches you can take in the next few months to solve that problem.
- Explain why you decided on these approaches.
- STEP 4: Use in-text citations if you paraphrased any ideas that you read about from a source.
- STEP 5: Create a source list for your discussion that documents any sources that you used for your discussion post.